Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

SAD Syndrome



SAD Syndrome  


     Growing up in Pennsylvania meant long dark days in the winter. Sun always brightened my mood. By the time I was a teenager, long stretches of dark days started resulting in major depression. As soon as I could, I moved further and further south, following the sun, until I ended up in Florida, living in mortal fear of anyplace, like Seattle, that had more than a few dark days in a row. 
     Season Affective Disorder, or the SAD syndrome, is a type of depression that kicks in with shorter, darker days, and less exposure to sunshine. It affects a large segment of the population, incrementally more the further north you go.
      The good news is, there are tools to deal with SAD, and eliminate, this potentially crippling syndrome. I learned about these tools, in Florida, where I attended school for TCM, and from learning other Holistic modalities as well, which treat depression, including SAD. Effectively treating my own depression was invaluable in helping others deal with theirs.                                                                  
      I found that the more severe cases of SAD usually meant a combination of root causes, that need to be addressed, commonly including what the Chinese call Liver Qi Stagnation, Candida, dietary problems with eating, or being able to assimilate, the right foods, and the body's inability to create enough Serotonin. Root causes differ with each patient. I usually address the problem with a combination of Acupuncture, (to rebalance and redirect the flow of energy in the body) Chinese Herbal formulas (to enhance and fine tune this rebalancing), Homeopathics (to help the body relearn to produce Serotonin), nutritional supplements, and nutritional counseling, as needed, (to give the body the ability to ingest and assimilate the nutrients necessary to stabilize emotions).      
      There are also a few tools I share with patients to combat the blues. There are many expensive full spectrum light products on the market, but GE's Reveal lights are not only full spectrum, but also no more expensive than other lights.They are sold most places that sell light bulbs. Reveal are available in regular bulbs, or florescence. GE makes it feasible to have a whole house full of full spectrum light, as opposed to one expensive light box, or lamp.
      After learning about Holistic tools for SAD I realized I could live anywhere I wanted. I ended up moving to Cannon Beach, OR, a place with less sunshine than Seattle.The first thing I did, when setting up my clinic there, was to yank out all the florescent lights and replace them with full spectrum. People would comment, on dark days, when they came into my office, how much better they felt just sitting there. 
      Another important tool is regular exercise. Exercise regulates the flow of Qi, the vital energy in the body. Exercise also releases endorphines in the body, which relaxes people and enhances their mood.  
      And finally, even though days might seem dark, there are still health benefits from getting outside everyday. Some sunlight still gets through the clouds. It is amazing how much lighter things look from the outside, than the inside looking out. As one of my patients told me, "Get out and walk your dog everyday, even if you don't have one."
      If these tools aren't enough to eliminate SAD, find a good Holistic practitioner to help.

                                                             Health & Happiness,
                                                                  Nancy Burton, L.Ac.
                                                                      534 Washington St.  Ashland, OR  97520
                                                                      For Appointments Call:   541-646-0134





No comments:

Post a Comment