Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

"Veggie" Pizza ?

"Veggie" Pizza ?

      Once in a blue moon my husband and I will get a slice of pizza. Its an American tradition, and we see it as a "Feast Day Food", an occasional treat. I sat down at a table as Bob got in line at the crowded counter.  He was getting our silverware when our slices and salads arrived. "I am sorry", I told the waitress as she plunked down some anemic looking wedges of bread and cheese, "you must have the wrong table. We ordered Veggie Pizza."  "That is Veggie" she informed me. "OK....but... where are the vegetables?" I ask. "There is tomato, " she quipped. Technically a fruit, I thought. "and olives," grows on a tree, big pits, what about that is anything like a vegetable, I wondered? "and artichoke hearts." she finished. I mentally conceded, half points there, an artichoke is a vegetable, even if it is marinated and canned with little nutritional value left. "Thank you."  I said. It was tasty, even though it wasn't the spinach, zucchini, and multiple colored fresh peppers that I had envisioned.    
      The very sad point that hit home was how many people in our present day society don't even know what a vegetable is, including my waitress, the owners of the establishment, the cooks, and apparently most patrons that order that particular creation and think they are actually consuming a Veggie Pizza. 
      Just for the record, when I talk about incorporating many vegetables in a meal, think of olives more as condiments, adding some flavor and pizzaz. Mushrooms aren't vegetables either, though again great for adding flavor, texture, interest and many have medicinal properties, though the most popular button mushroom rates right up there with iceberg lettuce for nutritional value ( not enough to mention). 
      Canned and jarred vegetables have had all the live enzymes, vitamins and minerals cooked out of them. V-8, I have been forced to inform several of my patients, did nothing for them but add to their sodium and chemical intake, and could not be counted in the 6-10 different kinds of vegetables I advise people to eat on a daily basis. The smoothies or juices sold in cans or jars in the Health Food Stores, with seemingly healthy ingredients have had most everything cooked out of them, or they would spoil and have no shelf life. If they have been 'enriched', the vitamins added back in, they are mostly synthetic vitamins that do more harm than good.
      So, back to the point,  have your occasional piece of pizza, and enjoy it. But if you want a Veggie Pizza, try to find a pizza place that has a clue what a real, fresh vegetable is.

                                                   Health & Happiness,
                                                        Nancy Burton, L.Ac.
                                                             534 Washington St. Ashland, OR 97520
                                                                           For Appointments Call:   541-646-0134 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment